Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summertime...new recipes and the never-ending housework. :)

Since it is summertime and I will have more time to experiment with recipes, I figured I could blog about it! :)  The hubby and I have both become big fans of the mocha frappe.  I love them from anywhere but we both LOVE them from the Java Post in Cape Carteret.  However, it adds up really quickly.  So I googled it of course and then played with some ideas.  The key is freezing the coffee in ice cube trays!  I made strong coffee and poured it into the ice cube trays.  Then when I want to make a frappe, I put however many into the blender with some milk and hersheys chocolate and Voila!  You have a version of the Mocha Frappe.  Saves money and calories, I am sure!

Brice has had tons of yellow squash come from his garden so far.  I took it and mixed 1.5 cups of bisquick (or any pancake mix will work), 1 egg, 1 cup water, and some garlic salt.  It also asked for parmesan or romano cheese, but I think I may use sharp cheddar and see if it adds more taste.  I also sprinkled the slices of squash with black pepper on both sides.  Next time I will also substitute the garlic salt with cayenne pepper.  You will dredge the squash through the mixture and then fry it up.  It becomes nice and fluffy.  It was not very crispy, so you may want to fry it longer but it was just as good not very crispy.  I put it in the oven on about 250 to keep it warm until the rest of dinner was ready. The hubby and I were both shocked because it was very yummy!  You are getting this from a girl who typically doesn't eat squash but I have eaten it both fried and in a casserole in the past month, lol.  Enjoy!

Fingers crossed because I have already downloaded different recipes for cantaloupe. :)

1 comment:

  1. yummy!!! this sounds wonderful! so glad to have found your blog! you have so many great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete